Chyan Community Field was started in October 2002. From a disused, over-grown field of 2.2 acres, it has been painstakingly developed by local volunteers and members to include veggie plots, a pond, a strawbale tea-shed, toolstore, and a sensory garden; there is a composting display area and various compost heaps, a covered cob seat, playground, a mud kitchen, willow fields and playscape and community orchard. Two wind turbines power the site and water comes from a local spring. There are plans for a Wind Garden Play Area, and an outdoor classroom / theatre space.
Our aim is to involve as many people from our local communities in our site and activities as possible: producing local, organic food, teaching and learning about sustainable living and traditional crafts and encouraging adventurous play and connection with nature. Young and old, individuals or groups, whether already interested or practising food growing or sustainable living or not; whether you’d like to come and learn or maybe teach us… the land is there as a resource to enjoy and cherish.
WHAT WE DO
- Community events throughout the year celebrating seasons and enjoying the space.
- Weekly children’s groups – a nature playgroup and a home education group.
- Activity sessions for schools and other groups.
- Training courses in gardening, traditional crafts, tree & orchard maintenance, sustainable building, woodland and bush craft, art and nature;
- Corporate volunteering days by arrangement
- Natural Play and field access for members
Postcode Local Trust is a grant-giving charity funded entirely by players of People’s Postcode Lottery. Our project ‘Chyan Forest Garden’ received funding from the Trust to bring people together to experience our natural environment, creating new habitats and an accessible community space at Chyan and fostering lasting outdoor skills. For more information about Postcode Local Trust visit http://www.postcodelocaltrust.org.uk and http://www.postcodelottery.co.uk .