Chyan Community Field was started in October 2002.
From a disused, over-grown field of 2.2 acres, it has been painstakingly developed by local volunteers and members to include veggie plots, a pond, a strawbale tea-shed, tool store, a polytunnel and a sensory garden; there is a composting display area and various compost heaps, a covered cob seat, playground, a mud kitchen, a willow den and playscape area and community orchard.
Two wind turbines power the site and water comes from a local spring. There are plans for a Wind Garden Play Area, and an outdoor classroom / theatre space.
Our aim is to involve as many people from our local communities in our site and activities as possible: producing local, organic food, teaching and learning about sustainable living and traditional crafts and encouraging adventurous play and connection with nature. Young and old, individuals or groups, whether already interested or practising food growing or sustainable living or not; whether you’d like to come and learn or maybe teach us… the land is there as a resource to enjoy and cherish.
We are a Vegan Organic Site which means no animal products are used in growing the fruit and vegetables here.
We aim to work using permaculture principles.
We also aim to work using forest gardening principles.
WHAT WE DO
- Community events throughout the year celebrating seasons and enjoying the space.
- Weekly children’s groups – a nature playgroup and a home education group.
- Activity sessions for schools and other groups.
- Training courses in gardening, traditional crafts, tree & orchard maintenance, sustainable building, woodland and bush craft, art and nature;
- Corporate volunteering days by arrangement
- Natural Play and field access for members
- Allotments for hire – tools & support
- Roots & Seeds: Community Volunteer Growers – growing organic, vegan food